Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Conversations


I'm sitting at the Mission Mill in Salem, participating in an Oregon Leadership Network institute called "Culturally Competent Instructional Leadership for Equity" -- a fancy title for a key concept: how do we remove barriers so that each of our students, each of our staff, each of our neighbors, feels safe and respected? And is able to achieve their own dreams?

My friend, Yvonne Curtis, just finished an excellent session around having Courageous Conversations about race and equity. She asked us to reflect on her presentation... I think she meant for us to start an action plan/to do list for when we return to our schools and organizations.  Lately, that word -- "reflection" -- triggers my right brain into hyperdrive. And now that I think about it, this idea about open and honest conversations is useful in other parts of my life, too.  

Now.

It is up to me
   today
   right now

to have uncomfortable conversations 
to ask a difficult question 
(and hear difficult answers):
   Why is this the way it is?
  
And it is up to us
   to build the trust
   to listen without defenses

to take baby steps
   first me
   then you
   until there is a stampede

and the earth shakes 
with the power of our hopes.

No comments: