Sunday, April 19, 2009

Kaleidoscope

I've been thinking lately that the people in my life are like colored glass beads, and when they overlap in some random Venn Diagram way, the colors and patterns are influenced by the others in that space at that time. Still individual and uniquely colored, but the whole is different than the sum of its parts.

Like this:

Kaleidoscope

My daughter is the color
of sunshine at dawn –
flowing through gaps in
the mountains to fill the world
with light
and warmth
and hope –
Golden yellow.


My son is the color
of the water in Turtle Bay at noon –
warm and calm
gently rising and falling
reflecting the land and sky
concealing riches below –
Emerald green.


My friends are the color
of the summer sky at dusk –
as the pinks and reds and purples of day
fade toward peaceful night;
the spectrum of friendship
a backdrop of velvet
in sunlight and starshine –
Sapphire blue.


My love is the color
of the full moon at midnight
rich and round and full of peace
smiling with the promise of new days
casting moonshadows along the open road
and beckoning me into the unknown
Silvery lumen


I am the color
of clouds on a summer’s eve –
(No longer gray and dark, filled with rain and sorrow)
now long white streaks of misted brushstrokes
stretching from edge to horizon and into my distance;
enlightened by the silvery moon,
drifting against the sapphire sky,
colored by the golden sun
and reflected in the emerald sea.

A kaleidoscope.


kim
updated April 2010

No comments: