Monday, May 4, 2009

Just enough

A friend recently sent some "Glass is ...." one liners; you know, the optimist says, "The glass is half full." The pessimist sees it as half empty, the rationalist says, "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."


In response to the many miracles chronicled in the Exodus story and celebrated in Passover, Jews the world over just finished singing praises of "Dayenu" (meaning: that would have been enough, or the glass is just right).


I know I've been guilty of filling my glass over-full for years at a time, and became skilled in mopping up as I continued to pour. In recent years, I've been learning the value of a life lived with space built in -- a half full glass allows air and quiet and reflection. And more time with people I love.


Just Enough


I am a glass, my soul made of water drops

added one by one;


each contributes its own flavor


and the pouring never stops.


Brother and sister at my side,

drops added as I ran wild.

Another added with each move –

and each new mask, carefully applied.


One drop was added to my cup

when he asked if I would marry him.

Others fell in a steady stream

school and jobs and keeping up.


A drop added as we made a home,

pieced together, bit by bit…

and then we left for greener grass

and coconuts and time alone.


A baby boy, many drops more.

Drops added on rainy days

and more yet, a baby girl ---

dripping-dropping on sunny shores.


Filling spaces in my heart,

drops fell as children grew.

More drops added

as he and I pulled apart.


A year of sad and bitter drops –

though unwanted, each just right,

adding to the flavor of my life,

and the filling never stops.


Grief and anger and salted tears,

the mixture rich and smooth.

Each drop creates a potion

and I overcame my fears.


Heart opens and soul sings…

sitting still, slowing down

worry becomes intrigue

drops glisten as day begins.


Good friends gather near
embracing affirming loving me

A rain shower fills my cup

as rainbows appear.


Each drop life can send,
Each day the glass grows,

Each drop that flows, I know:

Each drop is worth it in the end.


Kim

May 4, 2009



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I was so moved as I read this. You have an amazing spirit and soul. I'm blessed to have you in my life.


Lu Ann

kim said...

LuAnn,

Thanks for your kind words. It tickles me that friends find value and worth in my musings. The poem ideas are a little like a small stone in my shoe until I get them down and out -- not painful, but they hold my attention and demand action. So I write them and post them and can turn my attention to something else.

I'm enjoying observing this new thing in me. I think it isn't so much talent as it is making space for ideas to play out (and having a decent vocabulary). I have a friend who paints -- that seems like talent to me.

This? This is just a small stone that needs to be worked out...

But I am very pleased you enjoy them! And that you are part of my life!!