Tuesday, November 10, 2009

giving selfishly


giving selfishly

who looks outward, dreams

who looks inward, awakens
(carl jung)

a simple plaque in a store window
a simple phrase to ponder
reminds me to put aside
my five-year-plans
to examine the past fortynine

and to realize
that I am not alone
and that receiving help
is not weakness
that strength
comes from
helping hands
embracing arms
and open hearts

and to understand
that my children
are no longer children
and that the best gift
I can offer them
is a helping hand
and embracing arms
and an open heart

and to let them know
that those gifts
from me to them
are inviolate
and irrevocable

and to remind them that
they are not alone
that receiving help
is not weakness
and sharing themselves
their real selves
(without the happydance)
with someone
is the most selfish
most wonderful
human experience
to gift another

and to gift themselves

No comments: