Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It takes a lifetime...


... to be an overnight success.

One of Barry Sherman's girlfriends once said something like that, to explain Barry's career in the Entertainment Field. Something about how he was working steadily for a dozen years and was nowhere yet. 

That has been the story of my Autism career. I've been a special educator for 26 years, deeply involved in understanding the impacts of autism on child and family. And then Sidney and I have spent three and a half years developing the C.O.A.S.T.

You may recall that we met with Dr. David Amaral of the UCDavis MIND Institute in February, and had an amazingly wonderful meeting. Dr. Amaral suggested we contact Dr. Eric Fombonne, the new director of autism research at Oregon Health Sciences University. 

I did. 

No response. 

After a month, I emailed again. 

And then I asked Dr. Amaral if he wouldn't mind making an electronic introduction between Sidney and me with Dr. Fombonne. 

Bless his generous heart and spirit, Dr. Amaral did just that. Less than 30 minutes after his email to Dr. Fombonne, Dr. Fombonne has offered to meet with us next week. 

Sidney will be in town. Friday, we will meet with Dr. Eric Fombonne, Director of Autism Research at Oregon Health Sciences University. 

This is a Very Big Deal.

Any year now, Sidney and I will be an overnight success...

No comments: