Friday, July 31, 2009

Full circle...


A recent conversation about melancholy with Jake has me thinking about patterns and change and looking back...

In the last week of this month, I turned 49 (a good thing) and marked the one year anniversary of my divorce. And attended the life celebration of a friend.

And though I am crafting a life of balance and peace, I have these periods of – umm – thought. Times when I find myself pulling in and away, and letting my thoughts wash over me. I'm okay with these down times, and I think that a life of pure joy would be too exhausting.

Melancholy

Wrapped in sadness, I let my soul
drift in a roiling sea,
overcome by a storm that engulfs me.

Waves wash over and around me.
In the dark, I am tossed
on a cold ocean of doubts; I am lost.

No signal flare to call for help,
no proffered hand of hope
to calm the journey, no anchoring rope.

Now and again I dive into
my swirling sea of doubt,
embrace the sadness with a silent shout,

and swim alone in my own thoughts –
I wonder what might be
as darkened waters cleanse and set me free.

July 2009


No comments: