Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Monitored...


This is my monitor. 
This is my heart on a monitor. 
Any Questions?

Spoiler Alert: I am fine.

I thought I was having a heart attack driving home yesterday, pulled into the W 11th Urgent Care, they sent me to RiverBend ER. By then, I was feeling fine and reached for my keys to drive the 12 miles to RiverBend, and... No. I was told to get a friend to drive me or they'd get an ambulance. I'm not great at asking for help, but I was mortified to think I'd have to ride in an ambulance when someone else might really need that. So I called my tenant Josée and she kindly acted as chauffeur for me. I thought it would be two hours or so. Wrong.

Five hours of waiting around and there was no heart attack or heart problems, they don't know what it was.

Did you know that a blood test can diagnose if you have had a heart attack? Cool magic trick... a heart releases two enzymes depending on the damage done to it, so the blood test looks for elevated levels of the two enzymes.

I also learned that I can think my heart rate to 85 bpm, and then quickly think it down to its normal 65. That was fun: several hours of messing with my heart beat and watching the green number go up and down. The lowest I was able to go was 58.  

Also, if you wiggle frantically while connected to a monitor, you can make your heartbeat set off alarms. Which brought a stern scolding from the medic.

You know me,
I don't do "Wait quietly" well...  Anyway, I felt like I lost an entire day, and don't even know what for.


My self-prescribed medication: Drink some water. 

And do things that release oxytocin and endorphins. You know. Exercise and stuff. And meditate.  

No comments: