Wednesday, May 12, 2010

l'dor v'dor



teachers
my teachers once sat upon my lap
played peekaboo and tap-tap-clap
sang songs and told me stories
of bugs and pirates and wonder-glories

my teachers led me by the hand
to follow crabs across the sand
my teachers showed me ‘yellow cars’
and ‘connect the dots’ among the stars

my teachers once bounced upon my knee
and simply asked for all of me
and pulled my face (and focus) near
to share their secrets and their fears

my teachers encouraged asking ‘why’
and debated colors in the sky
hot monsters, bug-guts-&-cockroach pie
smiles so bright to blind my eye

my teachers once leaned against my chest
each so different, while each the best
one an old-soul, kind and knowing
t’other, dancing laugh, glowing 

my teachers patiently led the way
when I was ready, let go one day
tiny hand, unfolded
baby steps, emboldened.

kim may 2010

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is perfect, Mom. Every line made me smile a little bit more

kim said...

Baby girl, you and Jake make ME smile...