Saturday, October 10, 2009

The best things in life are free...


James Taylor sings a song called "That's why I'm here" about purpose and connection and helping -- I've been thinking lately about why I am here. And about cost versus value.

My priorities seem the same now as 20+ years ago: Jake and Sara, extended family, friends. And though I really enjoy the work I do for the UO and for Alaska, work is a means to an end. I am lucky enough to be fully employed, to earn good money, to live in a beautiful place and to have the critters I adore. But work is not why I'm here.

Though I earn enough to pay my bills (usually) and do some fun things with Jake and Sara now and then, I'm scaling back on the extra stuff. Each time I have a choice between a pretty new dress or a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant or time with Jake or Sara or friends, I consider my priorities. Jake and Sara always win that consideration, and friends are a very close second.

But I am discovering ways to do really fun things for free -- Sara and I listened to the Bonnie Raitt concert at the Cuthbert in early September. Just behind the ampitheater's fence is a very large grassy field. We took the Wolfhounds and one of the Jacks and sat under the stars enjoying the music. With about a hundred like-minded folks. And I was able to watch the Ducks walk all over the Bears at Autzen stadium, again for free. I helped Michelle as a volunteer food server in the Clubhouse; the hours I worked were credited to Michelle's son for soccer travel.

And the money I save helps Jake and Sara.

And that's why I'm here.

A Cabin in the Woods

laughter in the breeze
sunshine caught in golden leaves
redtailed squirrel's joy

No comments: